Here is the mandatory kit list from the 2018 event for illustrative purposes. If there are any changes for the 2019 event this will be communicated in the pre-event documentation.
Carrying this kit is a requirement of the Event and forms part of our planning in ensuring reasonable measures are put in place to keep you safe should anything go wrong during this adventurous endeavour. We ask you not to take short cuts or ‘second guess’ our advice. For instance, the carrying of waterproofs is required even if rain is not forecast as a means to prevent cooling down too fast if you get injured in a location that is very exposed to wind – remember you may be very tired and sweaty, and who says the forecast is always right?
The emergency kit is important for several reasons:
- It helps you to help yourself should you have a problem.
- We are in this together and you may need to assist others if they have a problem.
- In the case of an incident our Race Control and Medical teams will make decisions based on the knowledge that you all have this equipment.
- Carrying the kit is a requirement for everyone and hence provides an equal and fair challenge.
- It is part of our risk assessment process that is shared with insurers. Your insurance may be invalid if you do not follow our advice.
- If your lack of kit preparation contributes to making an incident more serious, then you may be avoidably drawing resources from our medical team and the emergency services at the expense of others.
- Without the kit you will be unable to complete registration. If during the race you are not carrying the mandatory kit then you will be disqualified and deemed to have not completed the challenge.
- Cycle helmet
- Suitable bicycle
- Comprehensive first aid kit, including large wound dressings.
- Food and water
- Mobile phone
- Participant Number(s).
- Tools and Spares: Puncture repair kit, bike pump, tyre levers, multi-tool, chain repair tool and the knowledge to use.
- Full waterproof body cover – i.e Long sleeve jacket or top and full length trousers. Both must be waterproof. These items are for if you need to stop and wait for assistance – they will help keep you comfortable. These must have TAPED SEAMS as a minimum standard. See image below for what we will be checking.
- Warm headgear
- Rucksack or large bum bag
- Hydration system
- Survival bag
- Simple front and rear bike lights for road safety.
- GPS tracker (supplied at registration)
- Essential Event Information (supplied at registration)
Rat Race Store has some of the mandatory kit for sale here
- No drafting or pack riding.
- Obey all of the rules of the public roads and stop at red lights.
- No racing or race-like behaviour.
- Do not drop litter and use the bins provided. Anyone seen littering will be disqualified from the event.
- Be patient and approach all Bike Pit Stops with caution.
- You must check in at the Pit stop (approx. half way on each stage) so that we can track your whereabouts for safety reasons.
- You will not be able to start each day without the mandatory kit.
- The safety team and Event Director’s word is final.
Above: Close up picture of a jacket constructed with waterproof taped seams.